nis/yp usage question

Rob Marmen 1532773 marmen at bwdla31.bnr.ca
Sat Jun 22 00:03:31 AEST 1991

In article <4932 at spim.mips.COM>, beacker at mips.com (Bradley Eacker) writes:
> Folks,
>      I was wondering how extensively the nis/yp services are
> used within the sites that exist in the un*x community.  The
> main information that I am looking for are:
>
>      Do you use yp/nis?

	Yes, we use NIS extensively. It makes my life much simpler. There is
     a lot of folklore with the system, but it can be made to run with
     few problems. I also have 7 subnets of Apollos that use registries.
	I find the NIS system easier to maintain, but I like the administration
     side of NCS better.

>      How many machines are in existance on your net?
>            I am looking for orders of magnitude (1 - 10 - 100 - 1000)

	Over 2000 Unix workstations. I can't be any more specific than that.

>      How many subnets they are broken into?

	Over 50 subnets spread across several buildings in the city.

>      How many yp masters do you have on your net?

	We have two domains. One domain, BNROTTAWA has over 90 slaves and 1 master.
 	Some work was required to structure this so that the master wouldn't
 	overload and self-destruct. The second domain has one master and approx 10 slaves.
	The master gets the majority of its data directly from the BNROTTAWA master.

regards,

rob...