new groups for iX86 unix

John Plocher plocher at uport.UUCP
Mon Aug 22 04:53:56 AEST 1988

+---- In article <6560 at bigtex.uucp> James Van Artsdalen writes:
| +---- In article <425 at uport.UUCP>, John Plocher wrote:
| | (with system call extentions supporting existing Xenix SystemV/386 and Xenix
| | System V/286 applications) at both a source code and a binary executable
| | level.  [...]
| | [Note: this does NOT specify object level compatibility.  -John]
| +----
| Then what does "binary executable level" mean?
+----

I guess I can't talk with both feet in my mouth :-)

I meant that it DOES NOT SEEM to imply that .o files are linkable together,
or that .a (library) files would be either.
If you would note that the second paragraph (talking about supporting existing
Unix Vr2/286 and Unix Vr3/386 programs) specifically addresses this "object
code" level then it seems significant.

1) source code       \  Note that the overview mentions these
2) object code        > three levels, of which only 1 and 3 are addressed
3) executable code   /  for Xenix/Unix compatibility!

    -John Plocher