Disk drives

Rick Richardson rick at pcrat.UUCP
Fri Aug 19 12:11:29 AEST 1988

In article <11190012 at hpisoa1.HP.COM> vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM (Andrew Valencia) writes:
>	The copper grounding strap which rests against the spindle of the
>rotating portion of the disk is often the culprit.  I'm not familiar with
>your exact model, but the common solution is just to bend it back so it doesn't
>rest against the spindle any more.  "But doesn't that mean it won't be
>grounding it any more?!?" you ask.  Yup.  But no one I've talked to has ever
>had any trouble, and it sure quiets the guy down.

I'd always put silicone on the strap to change the mass.  Then I ran into
the Micropolis drives.  Their spring design is so whacky the silicone
didn't work for long.

Then, a couple of days ago, I got a call from a nice fellow named
Terry Kennedy.  He said that somebody at Priam told him that on a
3.5 or 5.25 inch form factor drive you can't build up enough static to
cause any problems.  Micropolis used to send him boxes of replacement
springs, but when asked, they also agreed that you could just rip
off the spring.

This is all hearsay, but the next time I open the case, *my* Micropolis
will be silenced *forever*.
--
		Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc.

(201) 542-3734 (voice, nights)   OR     (201) 389-8963 (voice, days)
uunet!pcrat!rick (UUCP)			rick%pcrat.uucp at uunet.uu.net (INTERNET)