/etc/shmcreate, how does it do it?

Keith Hankin keith at uport.UUCP
Tue Aug 9 04:46:44 AEST 1988

In article <162 at focsys.UUCP> larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

|Is the process the same on the 286 and 386 versions of Unix? Or are
|there some differences?

The 386 version does not have a "shmcreate" facility currently.  The memory
management is handled entirely differently and involves a different
solution.  We are currently involved in adding ioctl support to our 386
system for a facility like 286's "shmcreate".

|On the same subject, although the 386 does not have a 64K segment
|size limit to its addressing, the parameters to shmget() seem to
|limit the size of a shared memory segment to 64K. The second
|parameter specifies the size in bytes of the segment, and this is
|an int. Therefore, only 65535 bytes can be specified! Is this, infact
|true, or is there something that I've overlooked?

On the 386, ints are 32-bits.  Therefore the limitation is not 65535
bytes, but rather 4 Gigabytes!  Now I know that this may limit some of
our real heavy power users, but hey, life's rough :^)

--
Keith Hankin	keith at uport
Microport Systems