/etc/shmcreate, how does it do it?

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Sun Aug 7 02:53:19 AEST 1988

In article <162 at focsys.UUCP> larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:

>On the same subject, although the 386 does not have a 64K segment
>size limit to its addressing, the parameters to shmget() seem to
>limit the size of a shared memory segment to 64K. The second
>parameter specifies the size in bytes of the segment, and this is
>an int. Therefore, only 65535 bytes can be specified! Is this, infact
    ^^^
>true, or is there something that I've overlooked?

possibly, on the 386 isn't the default int size 32-bits?
and not 16?  so we get 4-Giga word sizing instead of 64k.

i work on a 286 and have played around on 3b1s so this is
by no means "from the horses mouth" :-)

>Thanks,
>   Larry

hope this helps!

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ
(201) 386-4154 (cornet 232)

email address:		...![ att ulysses ucbvax allegra ]!moss!wtr
			...![ att ucbvax akgua watmath  ]!clyde!wtr