FP PROBLEM RESOLUTION

Steve Neighorn neighorn at qiclab.UUCP
Fri Aug 5 06:12:19 AEST 1988

In article <543 at olgb1.oliv.co.uk> mikep at olgb1.oliv.co.uk (Mike Pellatt) writes:
<In article <2432 at inco.UUCP>, mack at inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
<< >From csmunix.larc.nasa.gov!whg  Mon Jul 18 22:43:11 1988 remote from uunet
<< To: bill%bts.uucp
<< Subject: More on Erratum 21
<<
<< Bill,
<<
<<      Erratum 21 is an occasionally discussed bug in the 80386 that occurs
<< sometimes during floating point operations when paging is also occuring.
<< Intel has said that they have plans to fix this bug but I'm not sure if
<< ......
<
<I think this one will be fixed in the 'D' stepping of the 80386
<(when that finally hits the streets...)

The latest disks from Interactive and Intel (Version 3.1) include a question
about Erratum 21 in the installation procedure. Basically the INSTALL
script asks whether the 80386 being used in the system has "D step" or
after 80386. A special software patch which fixes the FP problems will
be installed if you respond with a "Yes you want the patch applied."

If you don't have a 80387, or have a D step 80386, the patch doesn't
need to be applied.
--
Steven C. Neighorn            !tektronix!{psu-cs,reed,ogcvax}!qiclab!neighorn
Intel Corporation            "Where we BUILD the Star Fighters that defend the