HDB uucp and uport SV/AT (have you tried it?)

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sun Aug 14 01:31:26 AEST 1988

In article <198 at focsys.UUCP> larry at focsys.UUCP (Larry Williamson) writes:
>I thought I'd like to run
>the HDB uucp that uport has on their BBS.  So, I've downloaded it.
>
>At first glance it looks rather complete. All the stuff is there.
>
>Has anyone installed it? What should I watch out for? I remember that
>this has been discussed a while ago and someone said that you must still
>maintain most of the old system, ie the L.sys file for example is still
>required. Is this true?

If you downloaded it within the last few days or so, it should be the right
stuff. If you downloaded it more than a month ago or so, it probably is not.
Check if it includes cu and ct. If it does, you are ok, otherwise you got
the old version.

For a while, uPort had a pre-release version of HDB on the BBS, which did not
include cu, and thus you would have to keep the old support files for the
benefit of cu and ct. It also used the old style lock files (binary PID) in
/usr/spool/uucp -- which was necessary for it to work with cu.

Recently, I believe at John Plocher's behest, they have put the latest version
of HDB, which is really part of their 386 product, onto the BBS, compiled under
V/AT, and this includes new-style uucp, cu, and ct. It works rather well for
me (mail & news at 2400 Baud), but there are a few minor bugs -- i.e. it
won't accept reasonably complex entries in Dialers -- no PCP, for example. The
entry for Hayes is about the most complex it will accept.

Wolf
UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   wnp%dcs at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD