More RFS questions: advertising subdirectories

Jeff Bowles bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Fri Aug 12 00:38:30 AEST 1988

In article <2442 at sugar.uu.net> karl at sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>I had also asked why it isn't a good idea to create a link of the machine
>to / on that machine so there would be filepaths that work for all machines.
>Jeff pointed out that this breaks find and can cause other problems.
>
>What I'm wondering about now is, is it OK to advertise a subdirectory of
>a resource that's already being advertised?  If so, I can do something
>like advertise /usr/spool/news as "news" from the news server, and remote
>mount it as /usr/spool/news on the others.  I tilde-banged out just now and
>tried it and it works, so let's put it this way, does anyone know of a reason
>why this should not be done?

On the main node in my  my two-machine RFS network, I advertise:
	/
	/usr/local
	/usr/local/lib/font
	/usr/lib/tmac
	/usr/src

And... the other machine  mounts [most of] these, with no problems.
The ONLY problem I can see is that if someone on the other machine

mounts lots of these, a "find /" will examine some files more than
once --- "find / -local" gets around this. In backup strategies,
that's a concern.

Go to it! (And let me know if you find out what the "National Packet
Header Botch" means. Gad. I have had it, living without source for
the past year.)

	Jeff