using an above board's serial port

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Sun Aug 28 04:11:14 AEST 1988

I am running uport 386/V 3.0-L2.2 on an acer-1100.  I have an intel above board
286/ps installed, which means that there is an extra serial port that comes
with the board.  I already have two serial ports installed, but would like to
be able to use the 3rd serial port on the above board, if possible.  The
problem is that i'm not sure how to proceed.  Here is the output of ttypatch:

$ ttypatch -d -t0
Values for /dev/tty00
Interrupt: 0x4
Address: 0x3f8
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

$ ttypatch -d -t1
Values for /dev/tty01
Interrupt: 0x3
Address: 0x2f8
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

$ ttypatch -d -t2
Values for /dev/tty02
Interrupt: 0x3
Address: 0x100
Modem Control Value: 0xc
Status Port Vector: 0x0

I don't actually have tty02 port configured -- i just thought i would see what
was there now, since, if i *am* able to get another port configured, it would
tty02.

Now, I suppose that the address i could use for the next port would be 3e8?
But then what value do i use for the irq (Interrupt?) and the address?
In other words, here is the ttypatch command that i would use; the ?s are
what i need filled in:

$ ttypatch -t2 -i? -a?

The man page for ttypatch states that the -a value for com1 (3f8) is 1016 and
for com2 (2f8) is 760.

I haven't actually called intel up yet, but i wanted to get input from the net
first, since i suspect that the intel technical people will not have any idea
what i'm talking about.

Derek
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
			w(612)681-6986	h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain