microport SYS V/386 problems

Ken Chapin ken at uport.UUCP
Sat Dec 10 01:13:21 AEST 1988

In article <1508 at bebux.UUCP> henk at bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
->Here are some questions about my microport system V/386:
->1) There seems to be no way to get printer control code's
->   to the /dev/lp<whatever> device driver. Also the number
->   of lines/page seems to be fixed at 66.

Lpset is fixed in the latest version (3.0e). As a work around, make a raw devicenode for the printer like /dev/rlp with a major device number of 128 + the major
device number of /dev/lp.

->2) The 3 1/2 inch floppy drive (720 kB) is not working.
->   (It works fine when I boot msdos however).
->   With Unix: $ format /dev/rdsk/f0q9dt I get: Unkown minor dev. no 48
->   (The f0d9dt (360 kB) driver works fine!)
->   So for the time being I've connected a 5 1/4 drive.

There was no support for 3.5" floppies in older releases. It's there and works
fine in 3.0e.

->3) With the dosmerge package I'm not able to create an EGA image
->   with the dosadmin command, on my TOP SEGA 800 (from TAXAN) card.
->   I get:  ega image build process failed.

That might never work. If the EGA BIOS is write protected or if it uses a banked
switching memory scheme then your stuck with CGA or MONO graphics under DOS.