tape streamers question

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Sat Dec 24 00:37:38 AEST 1988

In article <314 at belltec.UUCP> dar at belltec.UUCP (Dimitri Rotow) writes:
 >Almost all streamers use the QIC-36 command interface.  The original QIC-36
 >card was designed by Northern Telecom and put into mass production by Everex
 >in their EV series.  Since then, numerous third parties (Wangtek, etc) are
 >building "PC36" compatible streamer tape controllers.  The tape software
 >most vendors use will work with all such cards (keeping in mind that any
 >given driver is always vulnerable to changes in ROMs, PALS, and other
 >individual design changes).

Would you care to comment on the REASON for the change of PALS on the Bell Tech-
supplied EV-811-B controller, which in effect makes the use of Bell Tech's
System V/AT tape driver impossible with a non-Bell Tech EV-811-B?

 >- dimitri rotow
 >
 >PS - My only regret is that Wangtek doesn't make their 60 MB unit as
 >a QIC-02.  Nice line of drives, but I wish we could source them all
 >as QIC-02's and be done with the "long card" controllers.

Kennedy makes a QIC-02 version of their 6500 series drives.

UUCP:     killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN:   dcs!wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us    TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD