missing 384K on V/386

dirk dirk at altger.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 21:02:22 AEST 1988

I've been reading this newsgroup for a while now but I never saw the
following question:

			Where did the 384K go ?

If you install 2MB on a Compaq 386 you'll get 640K conventional memory
and 1024K extended memory == 1664K. When booting 386/ix it reports
1703936 Bytes of real memory. So, where are they ?

Some people told me that these 384K are called shadow RAM and placed
just behind the 384K conventional memory gap from 0xa0000 - 0xfffff.
Others told me that this memory is mirrored anywhere far away in
extended memory. On a Chips+Tech chipset I saw an option to enable
shadow memory by 16K page increments.

So, where does the memory live, I think it can not be a problem to
enable it and use it with 386/ix by patching the memory scan
function (scanmem) in os.o. Probably it is just one more gap to cover.

cu,
dirk :-)