Languages available for System V/AT

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Wed Dec 7 05:44:18 AEST 1988

>From article <395 at tron.UUCP>, by moran at tron.UUCP (Harvey R Moran):
>> John Plocher wrote :
>>Per Bergstrom's Pascal to C translator ported without much hastle (easier than
>
>       I could use a clue.  How did you get around the problem that it
> all seems to compile fine, but the assemble symbol table overflows?

Microport has a beta version of the as command which does not have the
symbol/hash table overflow problem. However, that will not help
you with the big Pascal to C converter posted awhile back (I don't
know if this is the one John Plocher was talking about porting).

Even with a working /bin/as command, the linker will die because the resulting
code segment is larger than 64K (I tried it). The UNIX 286 compiler/assembler
will not generate multiple segments in large model for a given source file.
The linker only deals in these resulting segments and wouldn't know
how to break them up. The fix would be to have the assembler generate
multiple segments but that solution is not trivial to implement since
it requires look ahead to see if the next function would push the
segment over the ledge (64K limit) which requires resolving the addresses
of the next function up front to get the resulting length. Another
solution would be to put each function in its seperate segment but
this creates one heck of alot segments for the linker possibly
slowing things down considerably.

If anyone has some good ideas..let me know.

    -Mike Grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org
    uunet!rosevax!cimcor!mike
    {anybody who is anybody}!bungia!cimcor!mike