Any experience with Enix (Everex SysV for 386)?

Bill Kennedy bill at ssbn.WLK.COM
Thu Dec 8 02:01:15 AEST 1988

In article <436 at telly.UUCP> evan at telly.UUCP (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
[ deleting what I'm not following up ]

>OK. Now tell me what AT&T Vr3.2 has that Enix Vr3.2 doesn't.
>Or vice vera.
>All I know now is that AT&T is more expensive, and doesn't work with
>Televideo keyboards.
>--
>Evan Leibovitch, SA of System Telly                   "I am most concerned that
>Located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario, Canada          nobody will remember me
>evan at telly.on.ca -or- uunet!attcan!telly!evan            when I am dead" - Anon.

Evan, you're quite mistaken.  As he said, he got AT&T 386 UNIX for $700,
unlimited users, with development.  That's right at half what the others
charge for unlimited users and about the same as what they charge for
development.  It's not more expensive if you compare feature for feature.

If it doesn't work with Televideo keyboards then I guess I shouldn't be
posting this since I'm using one and AT&T 386 UNIX.  If you meant it doesn't
work with Televideo computers then I'll concede that it, along with several
others, is known to have problems.  I can assure you that it does work with
Televideo keyboards, both vanilla UNIX stuff and VP/ix, I'm doing it now.

I can not comment on what either has that the other doesn't, they both
have their roots in the Intel/ISC port (as they all do except for SCO).
Having (barely) survived Microport V/386 I can report that the facilities
for building a kernel are superior to the generic 386 UNIX's and a number
of nagging problems were fixed by AT&T before they released it.  The
AT&T documentation (except for VP/ix, SCO wins that one) is superior to
the others and you don't have to pay extra for it.  I'm completely ignorant
of Enix, so please don't imply that I'm commenting on it, just the AT&T
product.

There is, in my opinion, a glaring shortcoming in AT&T 386 UNIX.  Despite
the slip of paper that says you get 90 days Hot Line support, that's just
not the way it works.  If you can not provide a registered 6386 CPU serial
number then you are a leper.  Fortunately I haven't had much need for any
support that I could not get from comp.sys.att or by email from kind souls
within AT&T (and outside of the Hot Line).  When I had Microport V/386 I
needed lots of support but couldn't get anything but guesses.  I'm told
that has improved.  As I said, I don't know anything about Enix.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill at ssbn.WLK.COM