GNU 18.52 movemail problem

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Thu Dec 15 01:46:54 AEST 1988

In article <430 at lehi3b15.UUCP> mludwig at lehi3b15.UUCP (Mitchell Ludwig ) writes:
>Alright people, thanks loads to the people who aided me in my memory
>problem.  Here goes with another one.
>
>I'm using Microport Unix.  It doesn't do mail file locking (at least
>I can't find it).  Emacs wants it to. . .real bad.  So bad in fact,
>that when I execute rmail, I get the error :
>
>	Movemail : error making lockfile
>
> [Stuff deleted]
>			Mitch
>			...!lehi3b15!mludwig

The problem and solution is fairly straightforward.  When movemail
tries to make a lock file in /usr/mail, it can't.  That is because
/usr/mail is 775 owned by root with group of mail.  My solution is to
run ~emacs/etc/movemail SGID mail.  This gives movemail permission to
write it's lock files.  I have been using this system with SysV R2 on
a 3B15 for almost a year without problems.  I used to use Micrport on
my PC but I gave up on it and bought XENIX, therfore I have not tried
this fix on a Micrport System.  Please E-mail me if you are still
having problems.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University