YA up 2.4 (warning on labelit )

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Fri Dec 16 00:44:00 AEST 1988

In article <1583 at ssc.UUCP>, markz at ssc.UUCP (Mark Zenier) writes:
> A warning for my procedure for partitioning a second disk drive
>
> If after executing labelit, a couple of lines of cryptic messages
>  labelit /dev/rdsk/1s2 x2 1s2  (as run in the installation script)
NO! >  labelit /dev/dsk/1s2 x2 1s2  (as documented in the release notes)
> Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
> The only safe place to run labelit from is a write protected boot floppy.
> Mark Zenier    uunet!nwnexus!pilchuck!ssc!markz    markz at ssc.uucp

I have never damaged a properly made disk with labelit.  Run labelit only
on the raw disk (/dev/rdsk/...) and never on the block device.  Never run
labelit on a mounted partition.  Good luck.

inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
micropen!dave at ee.rochester.edu

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll