microport & Zenith 'VGA'

Jim Dahlberg jim_d at cimcor.mn.org
Tue Dec 13 10:58:04 AEST 1988

I have a Zenith '386 with a Z449 'VGA' card and VGA monitor.  This is
usually advertised as a VGA card, but is really an enhanced EGA card,
although it does drive analog VGA monitors.  Anyway, my problem is that
microport does not support this configuration.  The startup files must
set the EGA hardware registers directly instead of through bios, because
the monitor goes out of sync.  I'm sure the CRT registers are set up for
the EGA 22 KHz sync rate, and my VGA monitor only understands 31 KHz.
If the modes are set up thru bios, the EGA modes are simulated with 31KHz
sweep rates.  Anybody have a fix for this?