TCP/IP boards

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Sat Dec 3 14:18:29 AEST 1988

In article <1023 at asylum.sf.ca.us> romkey at asylum.UUCP (John Romkey) writes:
>In article <374 at intek01.UUCP> mark at intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>>What TCP/IP board should I buy for 386 Unix?
>You might want to consider a host-based implementation. The only one
>out there that I know of is by Streamlined Networks. I used it running
>under Bell Technologies UNIX System V and it worked quite well. It had
>all the standard BSD stuff.

Ditto with John about host-based TCP/IP's usually outperforming the
so-called "smart" cards.  In addition, a multi-homed host running a
host-based TCP/IP can perform routing between the different networks,
something which is difficult, if not impossible, to do with multiple smart
cards, each of which usually has a self-contained IP implementation
which does not know of the others.

Though I used the Streamlined Networks package with John on a Bell Tech
box and was very happy with it, I fear that their XENIX market will be
closing very quickly, because SCO has just announced their own host-
based TCP/IP package which will also integrate smoothly with their
forthcoming NFS and X11 ports.  I believe the TCP and NFS ports are
derived from Lachman, X11 from Locus.  I don't have any experience
with it yet, but as soon as it's available, I'll install it and
let the net know what my experience is.

ISC's 386/ix has a host-based TCP/IP implementation as well.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer at harvard.harvard.edu
dyer at spdcc.COM aka {harvard,husc6,linus,ima,bbn,m2c,mipseast}!spdcc!dyer