tape streamers question

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Wed Dec 28 06:22:28 AEST 1988

In article <1516 at bebux.UUCP> henk at bebux.UUCP (Henk Dijkstra) writes:
>I've just received the new documentation for the Microport R3V3.0e release
>which states there is now support for the Everex 830,833 and 811-B controllers.
>I would like to purchase a tape-streamer however one of my wishes is
>that it is compatible with "frequently" used tape-streamers on UNIX systems.
>From what I hear that means I have to buy a "QIC-24" format compatible
>cartridge tape-streamer. My problem is (since no one here in Holland can
>sell an Everex tapestreamer "off the shelf") I have not any clue in what
>all those controller numbers mean. Is there anybody willing to help me out?
>So I end up with an UNIX compatible tapestreamer i.o. some MSDOS device.
>
>Please help me!
>--
>Henk Dijkstra  : BETRONIC B.V.                 USENET : henk at bebux.UUCP
>               : PO-box 4317                            ..!hp4nl!bebux!henk
>               : 1009 AH AMSTERDAM, NL         VOICE  : (+31) 20 6652251

The tape backup system I market is Archive's "FasTape".  This is an
external system mounted in a stand-alone cabinet with its own power supply
so, it won't over burden your AT's internal power supply.
It uses DC-600A 1/4" cartridges with 60 MB capacity, and is FCC, UL, and
CSA approved for 115VAC or 230VAC operation.  A full length 8 bit
expansion slot is required for the controller card.  It is capable of
operation under PC-DOS as well as Xenix/UNIX and provides you with 60MB
of tape storage per cartridge.  This is a US built tape system; it is very
reliable with a MTBF of >5,000 hours of use.

The tapes produced are industry standard QIC-24 recording format
employing 9 track serpentine recording at 8,000 BPI, 10,000 FRPI,
on ANSI Standard X3.55 - 1982 600 foot media (DC600A).
So, you can write tapes on your Xenix/UNIX system and read them on your
Sun (if you want to) or vice versa.

You can write multiple volumes to a cartridge tape which is a very
handy feature.  There is no need for time consuming formatting of
the tape cartridges; this tape system formats on the fly.

This tape system is very rugged and professionally implemented; suggested
retail price is $1095.00, but I give fellow Xenix/UNIX users a great deal on
this tape system at $695.  That includes the Tape drive, controller card,
cable, and PC-DOS program.

SCO Xenix has driver support for this tape system included in its
distribution.  All you have to do is configure the base-address,
DMA channel, and interrupt, then enter the mkdev tape command and
follow the prompts.  Within a few minutes the new driver is linked into
your kernel, and you can backup your hard drives painlessly.
Backups are easily administrated via the SCO sysadmin menuing system,
and at 90Kbytes/Sec they proceed briskly.

To place your order, give me a call at (714) 842-2862 during business
hours, or send your order to:

        Dighera Data Services
        Box 12100
        Santa Ana, CA  92712

Prepaid orders are shipped free; COD orders please add $15.
California residents please add sales tax.  International orders
are a specialty.

Sincerely,
Larry Dighera
President
--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)