386 UNIX and FDISK

Phil Eschallier phile at lgnp1.LS.COM
Wed Dec 14 09:22:13 AEST 1988

In article <618 at cimcor.mn.org>, mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
> Does anyone know if Microport 386 or other versions of AT&T UNIX
> for the 386 handle disk drives larger than 1024 tracks? I currently
> have Microport 286 version 2.4 and the fdisk command doesn't
> support my drive which has 1226 tracks.

to the best of my knowledge, AT style machine do not support disk with
more than 1024 tracks.  i have read, however, that you can purchase a
special ROM BIOS, and once you do this, you should be able to type the
drive parameters in via fdisk and all should be well!

i am not sure of any companies that sell such a BIOS, may you could call
the Phoenix folks and ask --

-- anyone know of companies that sell such a monster for the 286 or 386
   machines ??

phil eschallier