X.V10R4 + W.G.E + Bell Tech + uPort + more stuff....

Luis Soltero luis at titan.hbar.rice.edu
Sun Dec 18 10:30:55 AEST 1988

Things on the X front have been very quiet in this news group for some
time, so... i thought i would write this, provide some info, ask some
questions and see if i could get the ball rolling again.

First item: I finally found a vanilla version of X.V10R4.  it took
some doing since everyone has "rm -r"'ed X.V10R4 from their systems.
anyway i have made the MIT vanilla distribution available via
anonymous ftp to titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30). there are some other
x10 goodies on titan as well.  look for things starting w/ x in the
~ftp/public directory.  i am willing to archive x10 code, so if you
have some, send me mail and i will put it on titan.

most of the code will take some work to get running. xdvi ports
easily, it however is the worst dvi previewer i have ever seen.
anyone out there know if there is a better x.v10 previewer out there?
i have discovered settimer(3?) + some of the other berkeley time
related routines have been implemented in the X10 library (maybe its the
-lnsl_s library) but not documented.  i uploaded the missing include
files from a bsd system, compiled and was very surprised to see no link errors.

Second item: locus dosmerge under x.v10r4.  works fine.  i have
remapped my keyboard using Xkeymap and keycomp.  using trial and error
i have discovered what a lot of the scan codes are for the x keyboard.
remapping the keys to the escape code sequences documented in the
dosmerge manual has given me use of all the functions keys arrow keys
home, up, end, pgdn, ins gray +-, etc....  does anyone have docs
describing what the scan codes are for ALL the keys? (demitry can you
hear me?).  dosmerge does not use the vt100(xterm) block drawing characters.
i thought i would be a simple thing to hack at the xterm code and turn
it into a wy60 terminal emulator. unfortunately the vanilla xterm in
the mit distribution does not compile.  the port looks like a dificult
one.  so, my next question is... does anyone have sysV xterm source?
(demitry can you hear me?)

i hear thru the rumor mill that locus is working on a xv11 version of
dos merge which will allow dos applications to do graphics to an x
window. anyone have details?

which brings me to my last item:
How is the W.G.E x.v11 port coming along?  did bell find the x guru
they where looking for to finish the port?

in closing i will say that i have really enjoyed my W.G.E/X10 graphics
display system.  i don't know how i ever got by w/ out windows. i look
forward to hearing from you net landers. cheers....

--luis at titan.rice.edu