floating point under Microport

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Mon Dec 12 06:37:16 AEST 1988

In article <612 at cimcor.mn.org>, mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
> OK, if this is a compiler bug, I might finally admit that
> SCO is better (and it will hurt too!).
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> main()
> {
> 	float a;
> 	a=2.0;
> 	printf("%f\n",a);
> }
>

> Does this work on anyone's 286?

       I had previously reported that I compiled this code and the resultant
code ran but just returned the $ prompt. Well unfortunately I compiled
this as "test" and someone was kind enough to point out that I was
unknowingly running the Unix "test" utility. (Can you say DUMB?) :-)

       In any event, recognizing the errors of my ways I have correctly
named this file something obscure and re-ran the tests. Compiling the
code both with SMALL and LARGE models yeilds the results "2.000000".
No hangs, no core dumps. I am running 2.3U on an 8 Mhz machine and
I do have a 80287 installed.

       I ran the compile with each model because someone had suggested
that the problem only turned up in the Large memory model. I don't
know what to say, it works here.

						John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P