HD error; cyl>MAX?

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Mon Jul 4 08:01:15 AEST 1988

I'm getting these HD I/O Errors whenever i access my dos partition on drive #1.
I was about to go and use mkpart -A to map-away those bad sectors when i
realized, upon closer inspection, that the cylinder (i'm assuming that "Cy:xxx"
is the cylinder number -- please correct me if i'm wrong; i don't have much
(read "any") documentation on these error messages (:-() is "804".  But the
drive only has 512 cylinders!!!  How am i supposed to map that one into the bad
sector table?  Although, i assume using relentless logic, the error message is
perfectly correct; cylinder 804 on a 512 cylinder drive would have to be
considered "bad" i'm afraid...

And this message only comes out (reproducable at will) when i do a dosdir on
the second drive.

Doing a "dd if=/dev/rdsk/1s3 of=/dev/null" did not produce any error messages,
nor did a "mkpart -v disk01" for that matter.

Can someone explain to me what is going on?  Or maybe tell me how to calculate
the appropriate bad sector to feed to mkpart -A so i can access my dos-space?

Thanks in advance...

$ mkpart -tv disk01
	Device /dev/rdsk/1s0
device type:		0
serial number:
cylinders:		512		heads:		8
sectors/track:		17		bytes/sector:	512
number of partitions:	9

$ dosdir c:
HD I/O Error: Fun:20 Cy:804 Hd:0 Sec:1 Status:59 Estat:10 Drstat:B0
dosdir: read /dev/dos/c: I/O error

$ fdisk /dev/rdsk/1s0
Total hard disk size is 511 cylinders.

					   Cylinders
      Partition   Status    Type      Start   End   Length    %
          1                 DOS           1    87      87     17
	  2       Active    UNIX         88   511     424     83

SELECT ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

     1.   Create a partition
     2.   Change Active (Boot from) partition
     3.   Delete a partition
     4.   Exit
--
Derek Terveer	det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG	uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det