HELP! Floating Point Problems

john john at bby-bc.UUCP
Wed Jul 20 09:54:17 AEST 1988

In article <2424 at inco.UUCP>, mack at inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> HELP !!!
>
> I have a problem with C compiler floating point operations under
> Microport Unix 386 Version 2.2.  Any code that contains floating point
> operations blows away both cc and lint.  In some cases this also locks

I have seen this too - I took some code to a friends 386 system running
Microport + Merge with 6mb (and a lot of other stuff too) and the
compiler died every time I tried to compile floating point stuff.
There were two different errors produced for the same piece of code
with no discernible pattern as to their selection (i.e. multiple
compile attempts with one of the two messages each time). Unfortunately
I don't remember the messages now.  The code had successfully compiled
under Microport 286 and on various Suns.

.
.
.
> my results.   On 7/14 I contacted the Microport sales with some related
> questions on their next release.  I was told that Version 2.2 does not
> include either 80387 support or 80387 emulation (i.e. no floating point
> support); however, the next release scheduled about August 1 will
> include these features in addition to the Green Hills C compiler.

I would assume that unless stated otherwise they are currently
supplying the AT&T compiler that is distributed with other 386
versions of Unix - it is hard to believe that there is no floating
point support at all; some of the standard utilities output what
look to be floating point numbers.  The man page for cc had an option
for forcing evaluation in single precision - doesn't sound like a
system which should have no floating pont at all.  It's also hard
to believe anyone (Microport or AT&T) would deliver a Unix with no
floating point support (note that I don't doubt what you relate) at
all without warning the purchaser - how about someone at Microport
(or AT&T or Bell Tech or Interactive) clearing up the status of
float support??????? Please.....

.
.
.
> This is not an attempt to complain about Microport.  I feel that they
> provided me with a reasonable System V.3 port; however, I am posting
		     see above comments

john