compilation speed with enough memory

Heikki Suonsivu hsu at santra.HUT.FI
Sat Jul 16 23:58:26 AEST 1988

In article <Jul.13.11.23.02.1988.1755 at athos.rutgers.edu> hedrick at athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) writes:

>swapping, I don't think more memory would be likely to speed things up
>much more, but it's always possible.

It would, if you have buffers enough to hold c compiler passes and
install small ramdisk as /tmp. I picked up ramdisk posted here some
time ago, installed it on my 386 uport and got some speedup, specially
on big modules which produce long assembler files. Compilation went
from 17 minutes to 13. I have 1400 kb buffers and 1 M ramdisk,
probably I could still optimize. I have 8 M of ram and 28ms drive.
386 probably makes things a bit different.