X windows on Microport 286 Unix

Dirk Husemann Inf4 - hiwi,0.058I4,7908,09131-302036 dkhusema at faui44.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 23:08:27 AEST 1988

>From article <172 at trevan.UUCP>, by trevor at trevan.UUCP (trevor):
>
> 	I am attemping to port x windows to Microport 286. Is there anyone else
> out there attempting to do the same. I have a couple of problems.
>
> 1)	imake calls ftruncate and vfork. Could anyone tell me what these
> 	functions do?

	At least about vfork() I can offer you some help:

		vfork() is a BSD fork(), the major difference being that
	the parent process is suspended (put to sleep) until the child pro-
	cess does an exec() or writes to the former parents data space.

	Thus, the data and text segments (and so forth) do _not_ have to
	be duplicated as it is done in fork().

	Hope, that's of some help to you!

	-Dirk

------------------ Smile, tomorrow will be worse! -------------
Business: Dirk Husemann			Home: Dirk Husemann
	  Friedrich-Alexander University      Aufsess-Str. 19
	  Erlangen-Nuremberg		      D-8520 Erlangen
	  Comp.Science Dep. IMMD IV	      West Germany
	  Martensstrasse 1		      +49 9131 302036
	  D-8520 Erlangen
	  West Germany
	  +49 9131 857908

	  email: dkhusema at immd44.informatik.uni-erlangen.de
	     or: {pyramid,unido}!fauern!faui44!dkhusema
------------------ Did I say smile? Forget it! ----------------
Disclaimer: The opinions, views, statements, ..., expressed
	    here are NOT those of the university nor those of
	    the student body as a whole. In fact, they're mine!