Trying to use the same line to dial in and out

Greg Hackney hack at bellboy.UUCP
Sun Jul 24 12:42:00 AEST 1988

In article <2332 at sugar.uu.net> karl at sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>We're trying to get Bell Tech Unix to use the same line for dial in and dial
>out.

Karl, I have been using a port for in/out dialing on my MicroPort 386
machine for about 4 months, and it has performed flawlessly.

I'm not sure how Bell Tech compares to MicroPort, but I'll explain my
setup, and if it doesn't help you, then maybe it will help a MicroPort user...

I'm using a Hayes 2400 SmartModem, configured as follows:

AT&F	resset to factory settings
AT&T5	no remote loopback
ATQ1	no results codes
ATM0	no speaker
ATE0	no echo
ATS0=1	answer mode
AT&D3	reinitialize upon DTR transition
AT&W	save the settings

The above settings leaves the modem ready to answer a call. After an outgoing
call, the DTR transition causes it to revert back to the answer mode settings.

/etc/inittab entry:
u0:2:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r tty00 2400

/usr/lib/uucp/Devices entry:
ACU tty00 - 2400 hayes
ACU tty00 - 1200 hayes

/usr/lib/uucp/Dialers entry:
hayes	=,-,	"" AT&FM0\r\c OK\r ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

Note: When calling out, the above entry temporarily calls up
the factory default settings, which are good for dialing out
with the exception of adding M0 to turn the speaker off.

A ls -l of /dev/tty00:
crw--w--w-   1 uucp     other      3,  0 Jul 23 21:22 /dev/tty00

--
Greg Hackney
hack at bellboy.UUCP