HELP! Floating Point Problems

David F. Carlson dave at micropen
Wed Jul 20 00:40:24 AEST 1988

In article <2424 at inco.UUCP>, mack at inco.UUCP (Dave Mack) writes:
> HELP !!!
>
> I have a problem with C compiler floating point operations under
> Microport Unix 386 Version 2.2.  Any code that contains floating point
> operations blows away both cc and lint.  In some cases this also locks
> Thanks in advance for any useful suggestions;
>
> Bill Hatch
> Computational Engineering
> uunet!bts!bill

Bill,

I have doing serious floating point math on the Microport 2.2 for 7 months.
Your problem is unique.  I suspect a corrupted binary:  use sum(1) on /lib/comp.
You should get the following:

/lib/comp 24603 553
/lib/cpp  49828 28
/bin/cc   40893 30

If yours are different, check your dist disks.  If they are different too,
call uport and get a fixed disk.  Disk IO errors, etc. can cause binary
corruption.

As far as floating point math, Microport does at this time support 80387 in
hardware and software emulation.  The 287 is supported in hardware only.
What they are missing is the IEEE floating point exception handler code,
which makes serious floating point and numerical analysis much more difficult.
These are expected soon, but...

--
David F. Carlson, Micropen, Inc.
...!{ames|harvard|rutgers|topaz|...}!rochester!ur-valhalla!micropen!dave

"The faster I go, the behinder I get." --Lewis Carroll