Bell Tech Ad (was: Re: semi-review of Bell Tech Unix for the 386)

John Peters jsp at sp7040.UUCP
Tue Jul 26 06:15:21 AEST 1988

In article <148 at dcs.UUCP>, wnp at dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
<^> >... Nroff/troff are not included, because, according
<^> >to BT, they haven't gone through the validation suite and aren't up to the
<^> >quality of everything else, but they'll sell it to you, so it's sort of still
<^> >unbundled.
<^>
<^> Now, THAT is no longer ambiguous, if this is true, then their ad is purposely
<^> misleading the consumer.
<^>
<^> The ad states "The price includes ... and all other UNIX utilities, files
<^> and programs, ...", but that seems to be OUTRIGHT UNTRUE.
<^>
<^> What sort of reasoning is this, "It hasn't passed the tests so we'll
<^> charge you extra for it"?
<^>
<^> I get to be less and less impressed with the honesty of whoever makes
<^> marketing decisions at Bell Technologies.

Here at Unisys we have put out two release of System V Release 3, one for
our 5000/80 to 5000/95 series and for our 6000/50.  AT&T does not include
nroff and troff with System V Release 3.  The Documentors Workbench is
a seperate product from AT&T now.

I think Bell Tech should be a little clearer in their ads but they do not
deserve to get picked on with nit noid stuff that is not even true.

						--  Johnnie  --