compilation speed with enough memory

Leroy Dorman mp1 at sdcc12.ucsd.EDU
Tue Jul 19 15:38:03 AEST 1988

Adding a ramdisk to a 286 uPort box will probably not get the
same performance enhancement that adding one to 386 uPort would.
386 uPort supports virtual memory so much of the compiler can
page in/out whereas 286 must hold the whole thing or not at all.
I don't know if the sbrk code is as dumb as that on V/286 but I
doubt it. For a 286, it may (for compiles, at least) be better
to allocate ram for program core instead of ramdisk. I would
like to see performance specs of various ramdisk sizes on
286/ATs. Would be interesting.

Eric Dorman			Bele-"Are you blind!?"
Scripps Institution		     "I'm black on the right side."
of Oceanography			     "Loki is white on the right
University of California	     "side. All his people are
 siolmd!eric at sdsioa.ucsd.edu	     "white on the right side."