X windows on Microport 286 Unix

Andrew Valencia vandys at hpisoa1.HP.COM
Fri Jul 29 01:06:45 AEST 1988

/ hpisoa1:comp.unix.microport / dkhusema at faui44.UUCP (Dirk Husemann (Inf4 - hiwi),0.058I4,7908,09131-302036) /  6:08 am  Jul 26, 1988 /
>From article <172 at trevan.UUCP>, by trevor at trevan.UUCP (trevor):
>>
>> 1)	imake calls ftruncate and vfork. Could anyone tell me what these
>> 	functions do?
>
>		vfork() is a BSD fork(), the major difference being that
>	the parent process is suspended (put to sleep) until the child pro-
>	cess does an exec() or writes to the former parents data space.

    To amplify: use fork(); it has the same semantics as vfork() for your
purposes.  ftruncate() is used to free space off the end of a file.  BSD
eventually wanted to improve on it with a general mechanism for freeing
ranges of space within a file.

				Andy Valencia