HELP! Floating Point Problems

leein at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu leein at uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
Sat Jul 23 17:00:00 AEST 1988

Again the 386-387 problem!
I have seen this kind of help request so many times.  Look up some magazine
article on 'Intel 386 bug'.  InfoWorld April 25 issue had an article with the
title, "Intel Confirms 386 Bug Involving 32-Bit UNIX".  It says:

---------------------
...a bug in the 80386 running 32-bit Unix in conjunction with an 80387 ...
...  This problem occurs on the current B and C versions of 386 chip, and
it will be fixed on the not-yet-shipping D version of the chip, according to
Intel spokesperson Ursula Herrick. ....

...  a " kluge card," which fits between the 386 chip and the motherboard.
...  One version is sold by Ironwood electronics of St. Paul Minnesota,
and cost $145 (part SX-PGA 132-01).  Another version, the Math Adapter,
is sold by Bell Technologies Inc.($195). ...

...Recent shipments from several 386 vendors have included the kluge cards
on the motherboard. ...

...[About some related software problem] SCO has fixed the coprocessor present
problem with its release 2.2.2 of XENIX 386. Interactive ..Release 1.06, and
Microport .. Release 3.0.