Seagate ST-4096 Question

Ken Seefried iii ken at gatech.edu
Thu Jun 2 20:54:25 AEST 1988

In my experience, Seagate drives should be avoided at all costs.  This is
a simple case of you get what you pay for; Seagates are the cheapest in
price and the lowest in quality.

In my last job, we had 3 Seagates drives die no more than 3 months after we
got them.  Then we had 4 seagates fail COMPSURF.  Note that these were the
only Seagates we had.

I'm sure someone out there will flame back and say that they have this
Seagate that has run 24-hours a day for 5 years.  That person got lucky.
The hard disk is the most important part of a Unix system.  Spend a few
bucks to get one that wont die...

BTW: CDC, Fujitsu and Hitachi make (in my opinion) the best hard drives.

	ken seefried iii	...!{akgua, allegra, amd, harpo, hplabs,
	ken at gatech.edu		inhp4, masscomp, rlgvax, sb1, uf-cgrl,
	ccastks at gitvm1.bitnet	unmvax, ut-ngp, ut-sally}!gatech!ken

	soon to be open: ...!gatech!spooge!ken (finally ;'})