$#%&%%$ 286 Dos Merge

Robert C. White rcw at qetzal.UUCP
Mon Jun 20 10:04:26 AEST 1988

I am using version 1.30 of Dos Merge on my 286.  I find that I
still (after six months) cannot run the software with my machine
running at 10 mhz.  Does anyone have any bright ideas?  Typically,
the machine runs ok for five or ten minutes, then comes crashing
down with a general protection/double panic.  Everything works fine
at 6 mhz, but the machine is a real dog.

Configuration:

	Genoa EGA card with 256k of memory
	Phoenix Bios, Release 3.01.
	Everex extended memory card
	No name serial ports (2).
	IMS/286 Box. (Intelligent Micro Systems).

	This other stuff is attached to the machine, but I
	experienced the same problem before they were added:

	Everex 60 meg cartridge tape backup (QIC-36) IRQ5,DMA3
	Overland Data Qualstar Reel Tape    	     IRQ7,DMA1
	Hitachi CD-ROM Drive (Anyone have a uport driver for this?)

The only thing I noticed that was wierd about this machine is that
I had to put exactly 640k of 120-ns ram chips on the motherboard.
There are 512k of 256k drams and 128k of 64k drams.  All chips are
rated at 120ns.  When I tried to put 1 megabyte on the motherboard,
all kinds of memory errors would result.

I'd really appreciate some input on this, particularly if there is
a later release of Dos-Merge available.  As far as I can tell, I've
followed the release notes to a tee.

Thanks in Advance,