$#%&%%$ 286 Dos Merge

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.UUCP
Tue Jun 28 21:31:01 AEST 1988

In article <1893 at qetzal.UUCP>, rcw at qetzal.UUCP (Robert C. White) writes:
> The only thing I noticed that was wierd about this machine is that
> I had to put exactly 640k of 120-ns ram chips on the motherboard.
> There are 512k of 256k drams and 128k of 64k drams.  All chips are
> rated at 120ns.  When I tried to put 1 megabyte on the motherboard,
> all kinds of memory errors would result.

Remember that memory from 640K to 1 MB on the XT/AT is reserved for I/O.
If your motherboard accomodates 1 MB, it does so as 0-640K and 1MB-1.384MB,
so if you have extended memory (whatever they call it - it's the stuff that's
directly addressed, not paged a la Lotus/Intel), set it to begin at 1 MB plus
384K.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl