Too many processes?

John Fruetel foobar at tegan.UUCP
Sun Jun 5 04:53:48 AEST 1988

I've been having a problem with tegan here for about a week, and it's
starting to really baffle me.

I get my news feed (via PC Pursuit) from a box in San Jose, CA.  This has
worked fine for quite some time, although PC pursuit is usually pretty busy
in San Jose.  Because PC Pursuit is generally pretty busy, I have tegan
call it's buddy zorch every ten minutes from 11:00 PM through 4:00 AM.
Placing this many calls generally means that I can get in 4 or 5 times a night.

But something weird happened about a week ago.  I installed a second hard drive
in tegan for /usr/spool.  The installation and configuration was no problem,
but tegan just isn't the same.  While receiving news, my system says that it
runs out of processes!  When I do a ps -ea (if I can), there always seems
to be a moderate number of tasks (like 10).  The problem seems to occur
while uncompressing one batch while receiving another.

What's going on?  Before I had the second drive, everything worked just great!

--
John Fruetel               {uunet, pyramid, ames}!zorch!tegan!foobar
In my spare bedroom        ihnp4!lll-crg!csustan!koko!tegan!foobar