Ridiculous(ly slow) tty driver

Andy Valencia vandys at hpindda.HP.COM
Wed Jun 1 04:05:41 AEST 1988

/ hpindda:comp.unix.microport / bill at carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) / 11:14 pm  May 29, 1988 /
In article <670 at igloo.UUCP> learn at igloo.UUCP (william vajk) writes:
>>In article <70 at carpet.WLK.COM>, I wrote:
>>
>>> Just like you marvel that the '286 can run UNIX at all...
>>
>>Is that the problem. The 286 was never intended to run unix at all ?
>>I suppose that's why xenix works just fine.

    Eh?  Current SCO XENIX is a port of System-V.  I'm told that it
isn't called UNIX simply for legal reasons.

>I didn't want anyone to think I'm cozy with them.  Read the 286 data
>sheets, read some more about the UNIX kernel, marvel that V/AT works at
>all!  Now that *IS* to Microport's credit, Hickey and company made it
>work.

    I've read quite a bit about both, plus about the PDP-11, and I'm puzzled.
The PDP-11 certainly ran UNIX (:->), and the '286 is in the same ballpark.
Which feature of the '286 is so incompatible with UNIX?

					Andy