Microport Sys V/AT continuous receive and send modem hang

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.UUCP
Sun Jun 26 02:00:18 AEST 1988

I just had something interesting happen.  I have posted before and many
times seen receive and send lights running continuously just after a
hangup and especially if output was being done to the modem.  This time,
it ran continuously for minutes.  Both received data and send data LEDs
are almost solidly.  A "ps -ef" showed a csh was up on the tty and a kill
of it seems to have fixed the problem.  I'm going to set up a spy cable
so I can monitor the problem (and others) from a terminal, but my guess
is that the the modem maybe sent the string "DISCONNECTED" or something,
the driver echoed it back (it's full duplex after all) and the modem
echoed it back, ad infinitum.

Is anyone else seeing stuff like this?

Since Microport started running their BBS, I presume they started taking the
serial driver problems more seriously :-)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl