uPort 386

Louis Schmittroth louis at auvax.UUCP
Sun Mar 13 03:08:03 AEST 1988

In article <7602 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU|, ewv at violet.berkeley.edu (Eric Varsanyi) writes:
| In article <929 at xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer at XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
| >4)  Does the 386 system page? Or just swap...
| It pages very nicely, a sar -p shows paging activity. I would suggest getting
| 4 Meg of real storage, 2M just doesn't do the job. The low 1 meg seems to
| be taken by the kernel and memory mapped I/O, the above-the-line memory
| (1M in a 2M system) is split between the buffer cache (default 100K) and
| free pages. When running one compile, my system pages at about 13/sec.
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Eric Varsanyi                                        ewv at violet.berkeley.edu
|                                                      !ucbvax!violet!ewv
|    Any opinions expressed are mine and are not necessarily those of Cray
I have a chance to buy a very nice Made in Canada 386 machine which
comes with 2MB of memeory using 256kb chips on the motherboard.  The
only other option is 8MB using 1mb chips, but this would cost me $2000
more.  Will uport 386 run OK with 1 or 2 users with only 2MB memory?
My strategy would be to wait until 1mb chips come down in price and
install them later.

--

Louis Schmittroth		           My employer has no opinions.
Computer Science