system panics

Rolfe Tessem rolfe at w3vh.UUCP
Mon Mar 28 01:35:21 AEST 1988

In article <382 at wsccs.UUCP>, terry at wsccs.UUCP (terry) writes:
> In article <315 at w3vh.UUCP>, rolfe at w3vh.UUCP (Rolfe Tessem) writes:
> > Recently, I downloaded the new, improved serial port driver from the
> > uport BBS in the hope that it would cure my system panic problems. It
> > didn't.  I generally poll for news and mail twice a day, once in early
> > evening, and once between 5 and 5:30am.  The system panics invariably
> > occur during the morning uucp activity, generally after some news and/or
> > mail has been successfully queued, but before all the transfers are
> > complete.
>
> Does it happen with the modem online?  Are you using an internal modem, or is
> DTR forced true?
>
> Sounds like you have the System V driver bug where the system sees carrier
> drop, but the modem does not hang up the phone, or is immediately called back.

As I mentioned in the original article, I'm already using
the improved uport serial driver, which is supposed to cure
the rmsd panic problem.

But after tearing my hair out over this, I believe I tracked
it down to a serial board problem.  I'd been using a "dumb"
MS-400 4-port serial board, with only the two stock ports
and interrupts enabled.  After swapping it out and replacing
it with a "standard" two serial port plus parallel port
card, the system has been up for a week now without
burping.  So, at least circumstantially, I'm ready to
believe that it was a hardware and/or interrupt problem.

For the record, I'm using a MAXUM 2400 baud Hayes clone,
with DTR following correctly.  All other hardware is pretty
vanilla, and I am running the production release of
DOSMerge.

--
UUCP:  {uunet}!w3vh!rolfe		| Rolfe Tessem
ARPA:  w3vh!rolfe at uunet.UU.NET		| P.O. Box 793