MicroPort Unix V/AT

Andy Johnson ajohnson at killer.UUCP
Sat Mar 5 10:55:03 AEST 1988

In article <2495 at ihuxv.ATT.COM>, bareta at ihuxv.ATT.COM (Benyukhis) writes:
> I desperately need help with installing the System V/AT
> DosMerge on my PC's Limited 286 machine.  It seems to blow up
> at the later stages in the installation.  After the Dos Image is or
> may be is being created it cannot boot of of the hard drive.  I followed
> the installation manual to the letter twice and could not get the
> install to complete.  Is it a disk, drive controller?  If anyone has
> a clue or the answer please respond.

I am sure this has been mentioned before, but just in case, I will mention
this again...

There is a very short "yes" list of compatible bios's that have been
"certified" to work with dos merge.  This is because of the fact that the
context switch between the protected mode (which is what UNIX runs in) and the
"real" mode (in which dos runs) is very tricky.  Not every bios handles
this fast enough or does it properly.

the final part of the install invokes this mechanism and those bios's that
won't run correctly will abort or have some kind of a problem in that step.

Use the Phoenix Bios.  It is certified to work.

Andy Johnson