Problem with News when patched at 14

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Fri Mar 11 16:24:17 AEST 1988

In article <3776 at codas.att.com> mikel at codas.att.com (Mikel Manitius) writes:
>In article <504 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
>-
>-     I have been running News, patch-8 for many months. Yesterday I
>- patched up to #14, recompiled and replaced the old binaries. [ ... ]
>-
>- [ ... ] I then do a "df", and guess what......all kinds of disk space
>- but ZERO inodes!!!  Yep, the old "I ate all the inodes trick".

(etc.)

>I generally make it a point not to make unfavorable comments about
>people, but I really had a hard time keeping from laughing myself
>out of the chair about this one!
>
>This is a joke, right?
>--
>					Mikel Manitius
>					mikel at codas.att.com

What do you find so funny about this posting, Mikel?  John
obviously had some problems with patch level 14.  I'm inclined
to believe his comments, as I've heard the same complaints
from other sites.  One of my newsfeeds refuses to go beyond
path 8 for this very reason, and I've not been convinced to
go beyond 8 myself.  Too many horror stories.

So tell us ... what's so funny about somebody having some
problems with apparently buggy software?
--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	decvax!formtek!ditka!kls
1-412/937-4930 office	|	{floyd,pitt,psuvax1}!idis!formtek!ditka!kls
			|BIX	kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)