Controller/driver combo... will it work?

Barnacle Wes wes at wsccs.UUCP
Wed Mar 23 07:45:13 AEST 1988

In article <119 at hawkmoon.MN.ORG>, det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) writes:
> The term RLL has been bandied about a lot, but the
> discussion is somewhat crepuscular to me since i don't know the basics about
> RLL stuff.  Anyone care to indulge me?

Yah, it's simple: RLL stands for Run-Length Limited.  It is a different way
of formatting and storing the bits on the disk surface (the "standard" way,
at least with ST506-type winchester disks, is Modified Frequency Modulation,
or MFM, which also stands for Mother F***ing Magic).  The gist of it is that
you can store more bits in the same space, usually resulting in approxi-
mately 27 sectors per track, rather than the "standard" 17 sectors/track.

	Wes Peters
--
    /\              - " Against Stupidity,  -    {backbones}!
   /\/\  .    /\    -  The Gods Themselves  -  utah-cs!utah-gr!