Controller/driver combo... will it work?

John Kennedy johnk at ihlpl.ATT.COM
Wed Mar 9 00:36:07 AEST 1988

In article <3575 at killer.UUCP>, ajohnson at killer.UUCP (Andy Johnson) writes:
> I received an Omti 8627 controller and am using it on a Miniscribe
> 3650 40 meg hard drive in a "unknown clone" 286 AT (with Phoenix
> Bios).
>
> What's nifty neat about this is that with the OMTI RLL controller, I
> can effectively get 60 megs out of my 40 meg drive.
>
> My question is:  will this work under Mport unix?

Nope. I learned it the hard way, and ended up having to return an
RLL drive and controller.  Microport said they don't support RLL and don't
have any plans to in the near future.  The drivers count on the
hard disk having 17 sectors per cylinder, and the RLL concept uses
26 per.