Microport Users Corp.

John Plocher root at uwspan.UUCP
Fri Mar 11 10:03:39 AEST 1988

+---- dave at sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes in <178 at sdeggo.UUCP> ----
| In article <215 at sdti.UUCP>, mjy at sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) writes:
| > In article <176 at sdeggo.UUCP> dave at sdeggo.UUCP (David L. Smith) writes:
| > >[proposal to form a private company with access to Microport sources]
|
| Microport has expressed a willingness to do this, but I see no reason why
| I should give my work to them for free so that they may sell it to other
| users as an "upgrade."
+----

Except that you can not distribute ATT derived code to ANYONE who
has not bought a Unix License from ***YOU***.

Just because a person has *a* unix license from Microport it does
NOT mean that she automatically has one from everyone!  Think of it
as a license which allows Microport to supply that particular
customer with ATT derived code.

If you don't like the word "free", call them up and offer your
services at whatever cost you feel you can get away with.  Just
don't feel too bad when they hang up on you :-)

Microport is working on quite a few things - HDB is almost ready to
completely replace the "old" uucp as the standard; the 386 product
may soon have SCSI/ESDI/RLL disk support; the 286 product is getting
it's hard disk driver "tuned up" - they may even port the 386 driver
back to the 286...   ksh is now included in the programmers development
kit - why there, I don't know :-( ...

  Have fun, keep trying, etc, but don't give up on them - they *are*
really trying...

 -John

--
Comp.Unix.Microport is now unmoderated!  Use at your own risk :-)