uPort 386

Eric Varsanyi ewv at violet.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 12 09:41:09 AEST 1988

In article <929 at xn.LL.MIT.EDU> singer at XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Matthew R. Singer) writes:
>1)  Can the 386 system compile for a 286 machine (Large model)?
No, the supplied compiler cannot produces 286 executables. The system does
seem to be able to run COFF 286 executables.

>    If not, since I need the system for product development,
>    can V/AT and V/386 reside on the same machine?
I've heard gripes here that people cannot get the 286 product up on a 386,
theoretically it should work, the 386 is downward compatible.

>2)  Does the 386 system implement shared text?
Yes, shared libraries are available. Libc and the networking libraries come
with the system as shared libraries. (Non shared versions are also included).

>3)  I have a 386, with an XT class hard drive for MS-DOS.  I want
>    to add a large AT class drive for Unix.  Can I leave the old
>    disk in place for running MS-DOS?  Can I boot dos from one
>    and unix from the other?  Can I even boot dos or do you
>    have to use dosmerge?
Be carefull booting between DOS and UNIX, DOS doesn't understand the intel
VTOC and will probably trash it. Best bet is to boot Unix off the HD and
boot DOS off the floppy drive (then go to D: or where ever your hard disk
is at).

>4)  Does the 386 system page? Or just swap...
It pages very nicely, a sar -p shows paging activity. I would suggest getting
4 Meg of real storage, 2M just doesn't do the job. The low 1 meg seems to
be taken by the kernel and memory mapped I/O, the above-the-line memory
(1M in a 2M system) is split between the buffer cache (default 100K) and
free pages. When running one compile, my system pages at about 13/sec.
Eric Varsanyi                                        ewv at violet.berkeley.edu
                                                     !ucbvax!violet!ewv
   Any opinions expressed are mine and are not necessarily those of Cray