Controller/driver combo... will it work?

Steve Dyer dyer at spdcc.COM
Thu Mar 10 12:18:24 AEST 1988

In article <257 at bby-bc.UUCP>, john at bby-bc.UUCP (john) writes:
> I don't understand the problem here (I'm not disputing the correctness
> of your claim re microport).  It can't be *that* hard to make the system
> work with 26 sectors/track instead of 17.

SCO XENIX v2.2 and above supports RLL controllers quite well.  SCO's disk driver
reads in the disk geometry (including sectors/track) from a sector on the
front of the disk, and configures itself appropriately.  It need not rely on
the BIOS tables.  There is no technical reason why Microport cannot do the
same; like many such problems, it is a marketing and support issue which they
will have to address one day.