telebit on uBug 286 - update

Steve Nuchia steve at nuchat.UUCP
Thu Mar 31 18:23:47 AEST 1988

So, has anyone ever gotten a response to an electronic message
from microport electonically?

I've got a telebit installed on nuchat, my long-suffering AT clone.

Works great - 9600 bps continuous throughput to/from uunet as long
as you sit there and watch it.  More specifically, as long as nothing
else is happening on the system.  Put a user or (gasp!) a 2400 bps
uucp session on one of the other lines and you're instantly hosed.

Throughput drops to <50 cps.  Long timeouts followed by short
bursts of data and then another long timeout.  Part of the
problem, to be fair about it, is that the g protocol is pretty
fragile on lossy connections, but give me a break.

Seriously - the difference is unmistakeable and happens with
any amount of traffic at all on the other lines.  If the hardware
could be conned into diddling RTS or DTR or somethine to indicate
thet its buffer is full that would probably make the telebit work,
but I haven't seen any indication that such a thing is possible.

I will take this opportunity to renew my call for interrupt-driven
driver sources for microbug.  Anything at all would be handy.
(a serial driver would be best :-)  Has anyone started the excersize
of comparing the linkkit/examples/sio.c pseudo-code with a disassembly?
Perhaps we could derive an equivalent source by succesive approximations.
(1/2 :-) -- broken code doesn't deserve legal protection)

completely unrelated ----

	anyone want to buy my copy of merge-286?
	hardly used.  make an offer.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be