Microport System V/386 install woes

Wolf N. Paul wnp at dcs.UUCP
Thu May 26 21:32:20 AEST 1988

In article <791 at geowhiz.UUCP> plocher at uwspan.UUCP (John Plocher) writes:
>I too find the Microport (really AT&T) manuals to be about 2 cm above the
>level of toilet paper - and that is being generous.  Some of the docs
>for installing packages could very well be in Greek for all I know!
>(My brother is taking 2nd year Greek - See, I have some experience with it :-)

John may well be right, but in defense of AT&T it should be pointed out that
the Microport Manuals are ***not*** unmodified AT&T. Microport seems to have
taken the AT&T manuals and done a generous cut-and-paste job on them. Watch
out for the changes of typeface in the middle of some of the articles, and
even in the middle of standard man pages.

The AT&T manuals which I saw with a friend's 3B computer were much more
voluminous; Microport seems to have done to them what Readers Digest does
to novels for their Condensed Books. Of course condensed novels are much
more useful than condensed manuals.

The specific stuff John is working on -- i.e. AT hard disk partitioning
software -- probably isn't even AT&T's, because it's hardware specific,
and so the docs for it probably also are not AT&T's.

As for the manuals' proximity to toilet paper -- the paper's just not right,
that stuff would scratch somewhat painfully. And it's non-absorbent too --
you'd need tons of it to get the job done.

UUCP:     ihnp4!killer!dcs!wnp                 ESL: 62832882
INTERNET: wnp at DESEES.DAS.NET or wnp at dcs.UUCP   TLX: 910-280-0585 EES PLANO UD