--- A System V/AT crash ---

Roger Egeberg ncegeber at ndsuvax.UUCP
Wed May 25 23:49:21 AEST 1988

I missed replying to the original message, but I have had a similar experience.
In fact, my system crashed at exactly the same place as the original posters.

I 'talked' to Microport about it through their BBS.  It seems that several
of their customers have had this problem, as well as one of their own people.
They believe it happens to only a few machines, and is not brand-specific.  In
fact the machine they had trouble with was a real IBM-AT.  Their 'solution'
was to convince IBM to give them a new motherboard.

By the way, the crash is actually happening by a label called 'idle', which is
a few bytes past 'clkint1'.  When I disassembled the code there, I found out
that it had just 'turned on' all of the interrupts (in the 8259A's) and then
executed (or was about to) a HALT instruction.  It seems to me that it must
be a problem with some component (such as the 8259's) and one should be able
to eliminate it by exchanging the components, instead of obtaining a new
motherboard.

I'm going to try some things soon, if anyone has any ideas about this I'd sure
be interested in hearing them.
--
Roger Egeberg                 USENET:    ncegeber at ndsuvax.UUCP
NDSU Extension Service        BITNET:    nu062423 at ndsuvm1.BITNET